A few weeks ago I spent time with some fine folks from the United Methodist Church, and many of them piqued my interest in the writings of John Wesley, largely seen as the founder of the Methodist denominations and Holiness Movements.
One of the District Superintendents of the UMC, Tom Choi, pointed me to these 22 questions that Wesley and others would ask themselves every day in their pursuit of God.
I found the questions quite probing and convicting, and I’ve begun to ask myself these questions myself. It’s amazing that these questions were written almost 300 years ago and yet are still very relevant today.
*As a caveat, I believe these questions were meant to be used in the context of community to prevent from self-loathing.
I’d recommend these questions to lead toward confession, and then for people to read Romans 7:14-8:2 afterward to remember the goodness and power of God’s grace.
- Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
- Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
- Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
- Can I be trusted?
- Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
- Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
- Did the Bible live in me today?
- Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?
- Am I enjoying prayer?
- When did I last speak to someone else about my faith?
- Do I pray about the money I spend?
- Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
- Do I disobey God in anything?
- Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
- Am I defeated in any part of my life?
- Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy, or distrustful?
- How do I spend my spare time?
- Am I proud?
- Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
- Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
- Do I grumble or complain constantly?
- Is Christ real to me?